Chapter 7 - Reborn as Rom-Com Villain: Chasing a Happier Youth

 


Chapter 7: The Bond Between Two People


While continuing to attend class amidst the dazzling scenes unfolding between the protagonist and the heroines, I realized it was already after school.


Coming to school today has yielded many discoveries.


The mysterious explanation that echoed in my mind confirmed that this was a romantic comedy world, and that its stage was set in "Fusekoi."


Additionally, I clearly recognized the position I was placed in within this world.


I, Shindo Ryusuke, exist solely as a villain to highlight the protagonist, destined to confront them and face ruin in the original story.


This world exerts a kind of force to ensure I fulfill my role as a villain, nudging other minor characters to make me live out the villain's part. It's fated to follow the original storyline.


However, no matter how the world is, I have made my decision.


I will not be a villain. I will live my best youth as my true self. I will overturn this destined bad end.


Thinking about what I should do to achieve that, I continued walking along the school route dyed in the sunset.


Then, I heard a familiar voice and felt a tap on my back.


"Hey, Ryusuke! Let's walk home together!"


"...Mashiro, it's you."


When I turned around, there was the familiar blonde gal, Mashiro. She started walking beside me with a mischievous grin.


"Hey, let's go to Round One and play! It's rare that you came to school today, so I'll treat you to celebrate!"


"No, I'll pass. Maybe next time."


"How about karaoke then? After that, we can play games at my apartment until late!"


"I'll pass on that too."


"Um... then how about dinner at a family restaurant? After we eat, we can go somewhere else..."


"I said no."


After continuously refusing, Mashiro stopped walking.


When I turned to look, Mashiro was gazing at me with worried eyes.


"...Why? You're acting strange today, Ryusuke. You're always cold, but you never refuse when I ask to hang out. We always played until late... so why suddenly..."


There was a reason why I kept coldly rejecting Mashiro, who was earnestly inviting me to hang out. It's something incredibly important for both my and Mashiro's future. So, despite the guilt, I had to keep turning her down.


"Sorry, Mashiro. I have other things on my mind."


"Other things...? Does that mean you're not responding to Kogane and Obayashi for the same reason? It feels like something's going on around you, and you're trying to solve it... Are you in a fight with someone?"


Mashiro turned pale, grabbed my shoulders, and desperately shook me as she questioned me.


"No, it's not that. I'm just not interested in those kinds of activities anymore."


"Not interested anymore? What do you mean? Explain!"


Raising her voice, Mashiro seemed unable to accept my words. But I couldn't explain anything to her.


We are destined for ruin as things stand.


Forced to follow the original storyline, we'll oppose the protagonists and have our numerous misdeeds exposed, leading to our social destruction.


And it's hard to reveal that. Hearing this, Mashiro would definitely be confused and might even think I'm crazy enough to take me to a hospital.


But I am determined to avoid this ruinous future and enjoy a rightful and happy youth in this world. I want to do everything I can to make that happen.


"Mashiro, we've known each other for a long time, but I can't explain this to you."


"Ryusuke..."


Shaking off Mashiro's pained expression, I turned my back on her and continued speaking.


Refusing her like this was also for Mashiro's future.


In the original story, after I meet my ruin, she follows the same path to destruction.


She vows revenge on the protagonists who condemned her childhood friend, Shindo Ryusuke. She becomes an antagonist herself, only to be defeated by the protagonists and eventually exit the story.


However, if I can sever our relationship here, there’s a chance I can prevent Mashiro from meeting a ruinous future.


When I was hooked on "Fusekoi" in my past life, Mashiro’s bad end was something I could never accept. Despite being a villain, her struggle and longing for her lost childhood friend moved me deeply.


Even if I cannot avoid my own ruin, at the very least, I don’t want Mashiro to face the same tragic end as in the original. I wanted her to be happier, to be rewarded.


To save Mashiro from her ruinous future, I decided to end our relationship here.


“Hey, Mashiro, there’s something I’ve kept quiet about all this time.”


“What is it?”


“I actually dislike gals.”


“Huh…?”


“I’m not fond of flashy, showy appearances. I’ve kept quiet about it, but I prefer modest, quiet girls. I like natural black hair more than dyed blonde, and I prefer neatly worn uniforms over sloppily worn ones. My ideal woman is serious and demure.”


“R-Ryusuke?”


“So please don’t involve yourself with me anymore. Goodbye.”


I told the stunned Mashiro that and started walking again.


With this, I should have clearly pushed Mashiro away. I convinced myself that this was necessary to protect Mashiro from a ruinous future, and I hurried home, feeling guilty towards her.


—But immediately after, I heard the sound of running footsteps on the asphalt, which stopped beside me.


“So that’s why Ryusuke has been cold to me? You should have said so earlier instead of keeping it to yourself.”


When I turned towards the voice, there was Mashiro, looking up at me with her usual cheerful grin.


“...Didn’t you hear what I just said?”


“Yeah, I heard. I was shocked and thought it was really bad. Revealing your type of girl out of nowhere, Ryusuke, that’s really bad.”


“Then why are you still acting normal? I told you I don’t like you…”


“We’ve known each other since elementary school. Besides, I already knew you didn’t like me. You’re always cold, Ryusuke. But you’re still kind in your own way. Even now, you’re trying to push me away for my sake, right? I don’t know the reason, but I can tell because you look so sad.”


Mashiro said this with a cheerful smile, looking straight into my eyes.


“Well, there was some good to come out of it. If the reason you don’t like me is my appearance, that’s an easy fix.”


Mashiro played with her hair with her fingers while smiling at me. Then she spun around, showing off her appearance.


Her skirt fluttered, revealing a glimpse of her white thighs, but she didn’t seem to mind. She gave me a mischievous smile and said:


“Just wait, I’ll overcome what you dislike about me.”


“...Huh?”


“So, let’s postpone hanging out tonight. I need to go home and prepare, and you seem busy too. If you come to school tomorrow, let’s hang out then.”


“H-Hey, Mashiro—”


Watching her back as she ran off, ignoring my calls, I realized something.


The bond between Shindo Ryusuke and Amanatsu Mashiro, which has lasted since elementary school, cannot be easily severed. No matter how cold I act or tell her I don’t like her, she won’t leave my side with that bright smile.


Are we destined to face ruin together?


Or is there another way for Mashiro and me to overturn our fate and find happiness?


I don’t know the answer to that now.


What I do know for sure is—Mashiro will always be Shindo Ryusuke’s childhood friend, and nothing can sever the bond between us.


Previous||TOC||Next


Tags